Turning Green to Gold - Peak District Holiday Cottages Success in National Green Tourism Week Award. Wheeldon Trees Farm Holiday Cottages celebrate as one of ten winners of the inaugural ‘GoldStar’ awards - “Recognition for demonstrating the highest levels of green ambassadorship, innovation and cost savings over the last year”
After just four years in the tourism business, Deborah and Martin Hofman have received national recognition for their efforts to create a high quality self-catering holiday business based on sustainability and environmental awareness.
Sustainable innovations at Wheeldon Trees include :
• Discounts for guests arriving by public transport, and refunding guests using the local bus service
• Self-designed external doors and frames with rebated closures for maximum draft proofing
• Ecocamel reduced flow shower heads
• Ground Source Heat Pumps for all heating and hot water needs
• Hot composter for all food waste
• Partnership with Big Ferneyford Farm - beef and lamb sold from freezer and used in home cooked dishes
• Self-guided walks from the door
• Founder members of the Peak District Electric bicycle network providing on-site electric bike hire
• Food provision for guests with emphasis on home made, local, sustainable produce
• Creation of 1 acre wild flower meadow and orchard
• Planting over 700 trees planted in March 2011 as part of the Woodland Trust MOREwoods programme.
Martin commented “We were determined to provide our guests with a high-quality, luxurious holiday in the Peak District and create a successful and sustainable business that would contribute to the economy and development of the National Park.
“Being members of both the Green Tourism Business Scheme and the Peak District Environmental Quality Mark has provided great focus and been a tremendous support to our efforts - we’d like to thank both organisations for their contribution to our success”.
For further info on these gorgeous holiday cottages please click here.