Summer wouldn't be summer without Eton Mess in some form or other. We use a mixture of red berries (if they last long enough) - the girls LOVE bashing the meringue - it's quite a good stress buster for Mums too!
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: None required
• 480ml (17 fl. oz) double cream
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extra
• 250g (9 oz) strawberries, hulled and sliced
• 175g (6 oz) raspberries
• 1 tablespoon Demerara sugar
• 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
• 125g (4 1/2 oz) meringues
- Whip the cream in a bowl until firm, then stir in the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl combine half the fruit, the sugar and balsamic vinegar, and mash with a fork until the consistency resembles stewed fruit.
- Crush the meringues into pieces. In a serving dish, roughly mix together the cream, mashed fruit and crumbled meringues. Scatter the rest of the fruit on top and serve at once.